Hong Kong had just begun letting its guard down in late February when it was hit by a second wave of the novel coronavirus.
After a brief period of low case numbers, new infections spiked dramatically, prompting a series of additional stringent restrictions.
That second wave now appears to have largely passed. Hong Kong hasn't had a case of local transmission in more than two weeks.
In total, Hong Kong has recorded only 15 new cases since April 20, all of which were people with recent travel history. That brings the city's total to 1,041 cases and four deaths. Of those total cases, 900 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital.
What Hong Kong did: The coronavirus first emerged in mainland China in December, and jumped the border into Hong Kong on January 24. By then, it had already made its way to several other countries.
Hong Kong closed borders and began social distancing just a week or so after recording its first case. But this three-month stretch of working from home, business closures and service suspensions has dealt a massive blow to both the city's economy and the mental health and wellbeing of residents.
Now, with the second wave mostly contained, many are itching to get back to pre-pandemic life.
But the city's leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, and other health experts are cautioning people not to let their guard down too soon, as they did in February. With the virus still wreaking havoc on the rest of the world, it's too soon to celebrate, she warned.
"I must stress that this epidemic may come back. As the WHO (World Health Organization) said not long ago ... we must remain vigilant," Lam said last week.
Read the full story: