Foreign athletes from multiple professional sports leagues will be allowed to return to the United States after Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf signed an order on Friday exempting them from any proclamations barring their entry into the US during the coronavirus pandemic.
"Professional sporting events provide much needed economic benefits, but equally important, they provide community pride and national unity," Wolf said in a statement released by DHS. "In today's environment, Americans need their sports. It's time to reopen the economy and it’s time we get our professional athletes back to work."
The statement said DHS will work with the leagues "to identify the specific athletes, essential staff, team and league leadership, spouses, and dependents covered by this exemption."
The leagues include:
- Major League Baseball
- National Basketball Association
- Women’s National Basketball Association
- Professional Golfers’ Association Tour
- Ladies Professional Golf Association Tour
- National Hockey League
- Association of Tennis Professionals
- Women's Tennis Association