June 9 coronavirus news

41 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
7:16 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

Brazil records more than 32,000 coronavirus cases in a day

From CNN's Rodrigo Pedroso and Shasta Darlington

Cemetery workers carry a coffin at the municipal cemetery Recanto da Paz in Breves, Brazil, on June 7.
Cemetery workers carry a coffin at the municipal cemetery Recanto da Paz in Breves, Brazil, on June 7. Tarso Sarraf/AFP/Getty Images

Brazil recorded 32,091 more coronavirus cases on Tuesday, bringing the country's total confirmed cases to 739,503, according to the Brazilian Health Ministry.

This is the fourth day Brazil's Health Ministry has recorded more than 30,000 new cases in a 24-hour period since the outbreak started.

The ministry also reported 1,272 new Covid-19 deaths Tuesday, bringing the country's death toll from the virus to 38,406.

Brazil's new totals come after the Pan American Health Organization said Covid-19 "continues to spread aggressively" in Brazil, Peru and Chile in a news briefing Tuesday.

The Americas have reported more than 3.3 million cases of Covid-19 as of June 8 — more than any other region in the world, according to Dr. Carissa Etienne, director of the Pan American Health Organization.

6:15 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

France announces $51 billion coronavirus stimulus package proposal

From CNN's Ya Chun Wang and Benjamin Berteau

French Finance Minister Bruno LeMaire holds a press conference during the IMF - World Bank Spring Meetings at International Monetary Fund Headquarters in Washington, on April 12, 2019.
French Finance Minister Bruno LeMaire holds a press conference during the IMF - World Bank Spring Meetings at International Monetary Fund Headquarters in Washington, on April 12, 2019. Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire will present a second stimulus package of $51 billion (45 billion euros) for the French economy amid pandemic on Wednesday, he said in an interview French radio RTL on Tuesday.

“Hundreds of thousands” of people will be unemployed due to the economic fallout from the pandemic, Le Maire said, adding he predicts a “wave of bankruptcies” and unemployment and that the economic fallout could last well into 2021. 

“We have everything we need to recover,” Le Maire said, adding that he trusts France’s resources in terms of manpower and technology to find new economic growth with help from the stimulus package.

"Forty-five billion euros is the sum that we will be putting on the table tomorrow ... this second stage consists in coming to the rescue of the sectors most at risk: hotels, restaurants, the automobile and aeronautics industries,” he said. 

In total, France will be spending close to $521 billion (460 billion euros) in recovery measures, which represents 21% of the French national wealth, the finance minister said, adding, "To put it in perspective, it is the equivalent of Austria's GDP."

The minister said the national debt would reach 121% of the French GDP in 2021 and that there will be no tax increase during French President Emmanuel Macron's current term in order to encourage spending.

Le Maire and Public Account Minister Gerald Darmanin will present the recovery plan after the weekly cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

6:10 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

California health officer resigns amid threats over face covering order

From CNN's Cheri Mossburg

Orange County Health Officer Dr. Nichole Quick resigned from her position amid threats to her personal safety after she issued an order requiring face coverings in the county.

After the order, Quick was threatened during a county board meeting and received threats on social media, according to County Executive Frank Kim.

Quick was not alone. A number of personal threats were made to county staff since the beginning of the pandemic, Kim said, but he would not go so far as to say threats were the sole reason for Quick’s departure.

Kim said he was caught off guard by Quick’s resignation. 

"It was a surprise to me," he said. “I am very disappointed that she left. There was no encouragement from myself or any other board members for her to resign." 

He said he understood that the title of health officer “is a very stressful position.”

Everyone in the health department has been working massive overtime, upwards of 80-hour weeks since February, he said. 

Quick is the third high profile member to leave the department since the coronavirus pandemic began.

5:27 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

US awards AstraZeneca $23 million to develop coronavirus antibody treatment

From CNN’s Maggie Fox

Facade with logo at office of pharmaceutical company AstaZeneca, in San Francisco, on April 11.
Facade with logo at office of pharmaceutical company AstaZeneca, in San Francisco, on April 11. Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images

The US federal government said Tuesday it was awarding drug giant AstraZeneca $23.6 million to help the company develop an antibody treatment for the new coronavirus.

The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), part of the US Department of Health and Human Services, along with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), said they were helping AstraZeneca to get to a phase one clinical trial of its monoclonal antibody combination. The trial would test the antibody cocktail for safety in people.

“Using an interagency agreement, BARDA will support AstraZeneca’s development of a monoclonal antibody combination product against SARS-CoV-2, including a Phase I clinical trial and the manufacturing of the investigational product for testing in Phase 1,” Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement.

“Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory synthesized therapies that can be used to neutralize viruses. A combination of monoclonal antibodies that neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus could be used as both a prophylaxis to prevent infection and as a treatment for COVID-19 infections,” it added.

“Therapeutic and prophylactic antibody therapies are urgently needed to combat COVID-19, particularly in the absence of vaccines.”

There’s currently no approved treatment for Covid-19, although the antiviral drug remdesivir has received an emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration.

5:22 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

Peru surpasses 200,000 coronavirus cases

From CNN's Kiarinna Parisi

A doctor wearing personal protective gear examines Covid-19 patients at Regional Hospital of Loreto Felipe Arriola Iglesias in Iquitos, Peru, on May 20.
A doctor wearing personal protective gear examines Covid-19 patients at Regional Hospital of Loreto Felipe Arriola Iglesias in Iquitos, Peru, on May 20. STR/Getty Images

Peru surpassed 200,000 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus Tuesday, according to numbers released by the country's Health Ministry.

The country reported 4,040 new cases Tuesday, bringing its total to 203,736. Peru also recorded 167 new Covid-19 deaths, bringing the country's total to 5,738.

Latin America has become the hotspot for the Covid-19 pandemic with more than 3.3 million cases in the Americas, "more than any other region around the world," Pan American Health Organization’s Director Carissa Etienne said during a virtual news conference on Tuesday.

7:52 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

Ebola was "scary," HIV was "insidiously" spread, but Covid-19 is Fauci's "worst nightmare"

From CNN’s Jen Christensen

BIO International Convention
BIO International Convention

Coronavirus is “my worst nightmare,” worse in ways than Ebola or HIV, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Tuesday.

“Ebola was scary, but Ebola would never be easily transmitted,” Fauci said speaking at the BIO International Convention.

“HIV, as important as it is, was drawn out and over an extended period of time,” added Fauci, who is also a top member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force.

Many never felt threatened by the disease because it was always a threat “depending upon who you are, where you are, where you live.”

In the past, when people would ask Fauci to describe a disease that would be his worst nightmare, he said he would often describe it as something that was a brand new respiratory infection that likely jumped from an animal, and had a very high degree of transmissibility. The world has seen outbreaks that have at least some of those characteristics, he said, but Covid-19 had all of those characteristics combined.

“Now we have something that turned out to be my worst nightmare,” Fauci said. “In the period of four months, it has devastated the world.”

Condensed into a short amount of time, the pandemic has killed hundreds of thousands in the US alone, and there are many millions of infections worldwide.

It was “unexpected how rapidly,” it would spread," he said.

“It just took over the planet,” Fauci said. “And it isn’t over yet.”

Watch:

4:38 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

Coronavirus vaccine is going to take a global collaboration, FDA disease expert says

From CNN Health’s Shelby Lin Erdman

Developing a safe and effective vaccine for the deadly coronavirus is going to take a global collaboration, said Dr. Peter Marks, the director of the US Food and Drug Administration’s Centers for Biologics Evaluation & Research.

Marks told panelists during a vaccine discussion at the BIO International Convention Tuesday that the FDA is committed to expediting the development of a safe and effective coronavirus vaccine and working with international colleagues to share information and discoveries.

“It's one of these once in a lifetime events,” he said. “We've had other bad infectious diseases around to deal with but this one, in terms of the speed that I think we're all trying to work in order to stave off a second wave, and as well as abrogate this first wave that is continuing to spread around the globe, has really put renewed energy into working together.”

Marks said he’s looking forward to collaborating with international partners, including other regulators.

“This is one of those where everyone will need to work together because this is really a global issue where we're all connected and until this particular virus is wiped out across the globe, we're all going to have issues with it," he said.

4:38 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

NASCAR reveals plan to "reintroduce" guests at select races

From CNN's Jabari Jackson

Drivers race during the NASCAR Cup Series Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway on June 7. NASCAR has been conducting races without fans since May 17.
Drivers race during the NASCAR Cup Series Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway on June 7. NASCAR has been conducting races without fans since May 17.  Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

NASCAR announced on Tuesday its plan to “reintroduce guests” to select Cup Series races beginning on June 14 with the Dixie Vodka 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway and the GEICO 500 at Talladega Superspeedway on June 21.

All guests in attendance will be screened before entering and required to wear face coverings while maintaining social distance at 6 feet.

Guest access to the infield will also be prohibited. Talladega Speedway in Alabama will allow up to 5,000 guests in the grandstands for the GEICO 500 while limiting motorhome/camper spots outside the track.

Homestead-Miami Speedway will welcome up to 1,000 service members as honorary guests for Dixie Vodka 400. Both races will offer military members to be first to enter said events.

“We have tremendous respect and appreciation for the responsibility that comes with integrating guests back into our events,” Daryl Wolfe, executive vice president and chief operations and sales officer, said in a statement. “We believe implementing this methodical process is an important step forward for the sport and the future of live sporting events. The passion and unwavering support of our industry and fans is the reason we race each weekend and we look forward to slowly and responsibly welcoming them back at select events.”
3:06 p.m. ET, June 9, 2020

Sao Paulo state sets daily record for Covid-19 deaths as cases top 150,000

From Marcia Reverdosa and CNN’s Shasta Darlington in Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo state on Tuesday reported 334 new deaths from Covid-19, a new daily record, bringing the total number of deaths in the state to 9,522. 

During a news conference, officials said the number of confirmed cases was up 5,545 raising the total number of cases to 150,138.

The data was released as Sao Paulo city, the capital of the state and the largest city in South America, prepares to reopen retail stores on Wednesday and shopping malls on Thursday. 

Establishments will have reduced hours and authorities have justified the move, arguing that the curve is flattening and they have added new beds in intensive care units. 

Other cities in Sao Paulo state started relaxing restrictions at the beginning of the month.

The Sao Paulo metropolitan area now has 74.1% of ICU occupation, while the state has 68.6%. There are 4,481 ICU patients being treated and 8,073 in less complex beds. 

Nonetheless, Sao Paulo city has long been considered the epicenter of the outbreak in Brazil, with the highest absolute numbers of cases and deaths.