June 20 coronavirus news

34 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
3:30 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

NFL Players Association advises players to stop practicing together

From CNN's Jabari Jackson

The NFL Players Association issued a statement on Saturday advising players to cease training together during private workouts due to “the increase in Covid-19 cases in certain states.” 

The statement is attributed to Dr. Thom Mayer, who serves as the medical director of the NFL Players Association, to deliver a “consensus medical opinion” to players as they prepare for the fall season. 

“Our goal is to have all players and your families as healthy as possible in the coming months,” said Mayer in a statement posted on Twitter. “We are working on the best mitigation procedures at team facilities for both training camps and the upcoming season, and believe that it is in the best interest of all players that we advise against any voluntary joint practices before training camp commences.”
2:19 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

6 campaign staffers working on Trump's rally in Tulsa have tested positive for Covid-19

From CNN’s DJ Judd

The Trump campaign confirmed six staffers working on the Tulsa rally have tested positive for coronavirus.

“Per safety protocols, campaign staff are tested for Covid-19 before events. Six members of the advance team tested positive out of hundreds of tests performed, and quarantine procedures were immediately implemented," Tim Murtaugh, campaign communications director, said in a statement.

Murtaugh said that none of the staffers who tested positive "or anyone in immediate contact will be at today’s rally or near attendees and elected officials."

"As previously announced, all rally attendees are given temperature checks before going through security, at which point they are given wristbands, facemasks and hand sanitizer,” Murtaugh added.

NBC was the first to report on the positive tests.

2:24 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

3 restaurants closed by police in Miami for emergency order violations

From CNN's Rosa Flores and Sara Weisfeldt

Three restaurants in Miami, Florida were closed due to violations of the emergency health order Friday night, according to a news release from the Miami-Dade County mayor's office.

Miami Police shut down the restaurants after being informed by the Miami-Dade Police Department that the "New Normal" rules were not being followed, the release said. 

Restaurants in the county are currently allowed to operate at 50% capacity indoors and all patrons and employees must follow rules including social distancing and the wearing of masks.

The restaurants were Astra in Wynwood, Swan in the Design District and El Secreto Bar & Grill in Little Havana, according to the release.

Owners of the restaurants could face $500 fines and up to 180 days in jail.

The restaurants will need to review the "New Normal" guidelines and take measures to meet the requirements before submitting an affidavit demonstrating that they have completed the necessary steps to reopen. 

By the numbers: Roughly 10,220 business checks were conducted by Miami-Dade Police on Friday and 45 businesses were given warnings for lesser violations, the release said.

2:10 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

More than 119,000 people have died from Covid-19 in the US

There have been at least 2,228,368 cases of coronavirus in the US, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

Approximately 119,342 people have died from the virus, Johns Hopkins reported.

The totals includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as repatriated cases. 

1:55 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

Spain to allow British travelers into the country without quarantine starting Sunday

From CNN’s Arnaud Siad

Levante Beach in Benidorm, Spain, on June 1.
Levante Beach in Benidorm, Spain, on June 1. Jose Jordan/AFP via Getty Images

Travelers coming to Spain from Britain will no longer have to quarantine starting on June 21, Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya told the BBC on Saturday.

"We will allow British visitors to enter Spain just like the rest of the European Union or Schengen area as from the 21 of June freely and without the need for the quarantine,” she said. 

The decision was made "out of respect" for the 400,000 Britons who have second homes in Spain, Laya said. 

However, Spain will continue to apply a “triple-check,” including verifying the origin of passengers, a temperature-check and registration so contact-tracing can be possible, she added. 

Laya also said Spain is still discussing with United Kingdom authorities whether they will offer the same conditions for Spanish visitors to the UK.

Currently, the UK imposes a 14-day self-isolation for all passengers entering the country.

2:03 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

Oklahoma's Tulsa County reports new daily record of reported coronavirus cases

From CNN’s Martin Savidge

Tulsa County, Oklahoma, reported a new record of daily coronavirus infections on Saturday, according to data from the Oklahoma State Department of Health and the Tulsa Health Department's websites.

There were at least 136 new coronavirus cases reported in Tulsa county in the past 24 hours. This is the fifth time this week that the county has reported a new record high.

The previous record high number of reported coronavirus cases in the county was 125 cases, which was reported on Friday.

There are now at least 772 current active cases in Tulsa County and approximately 66 people have died.

Some context: Statewide, Oklahoma reported at least 331 new Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours – bringing the state total to approximately 10,037 cases.

There are a total of 368 coronavirus deaths reported in the state. 

President Trump is scheduled to speak at a rally in Tulsa Saturday evening.

1:45 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

Second Atlanta United player tests positive for Covid-19

From CNN's Wayne Sterling

Fans celebrate a goal scored by Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium Atlanta in 2019.
Fans celebrate a goal scored by Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium Atlanta in 2019. Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

A second Atlanta United player has tested positive for coronavirus following mandatory testing on Friday, the Major League Soccer club said in a statement on Saturday.

There were no additional positive results for players or staff.  

"The second player was asymptomatic and has been in isolation since Wednesday, in adherence with MLS health and safety protocols which require at least two positive tests to ensure that the first result was not a false positive," the team said. "The team conducted non-contact, individual training sessions on Friday and Saturday, and will continue non-contact training on Monday. Mandatory Covid-19 testing will take place again Monday morning. If negative test results for all players and staff are received, the team will resume full team training on Tuesday."

The club announced its first positive coronavirus result for a player on Thursday.  

1:41 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

NFL team confirms that a number of "individuals" have tested positive for Covid-19

Naomi Baker/Getty Images
Naomi Baker/Getty Images

The National Football League's Tampa Bay Buccaneers said Saturday that “individuals” have tested positive for coronavirus and “affected areas” will remain closed for cleaning.

“The individuals who may have been exposed have already been notified and are following the established protocols which include a 14-day quarantine period,” said the team in the statement. “Our team headquarters remain open for our phase one employees and all essential operations are continuing in preparation for the 2020 season. The names of those impacted, as well as any additional information related to these incidents, will not be released due to privacy concerns.”

CNN has reached out to the team for the exact number of Covid-19 cases.

1:03 p.m. ET, June 20, 2020

Outdoor movie theaters open at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium 

From CNN's Melissa Alonso 

People sit outside of their vehicles to watch a movie at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, on June 18.
People sit outside of their vehicles to watch a movie at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, on June 18. Lynne Sladky/AP

The Miami Dolphins have unveiled its new outdoor movie theaters at Hard Rock Stadium, which includes a drive-in experience, according to the NFL team's website.  

The Dolphins are opening up its home turf for guests to drive their cars onto the field of Hard Rock Stadium to watch a movie on the stadium's big screen.

Guests can watch from their vehicle or set up in an assigned "tailgate space" directly outside their vehicle "while maintaining a 6 foot distance from all other vehicles and movie goers," the Miami Dolphins website says. Food and drink service is available "to be ordered and delivered directly to your vehicle," according to the website.  

A second movie experience has been created outside the stadium in an "open air theater" complete with couches and "restaurant style dining," the website says. Movies playing this month include "Jurassic Park," "Despicable Me 3," "Men In Black" and replays of past Super Bowls, said the website. 

Tickets start at $17 per person for the open air theater and $39 per vehicle for the drive-up theater, the website says. The drive-in theater has a 175 car capacity while the outdoor theater can accommodate 400 people, according to CNN affiliate WPLG.  

"All proceeds will benefit the Miami Dolphins Foundation Food Relief Program," the website says.