CDC director calls social distancing "most powerful tool" to curb spread of Covid-19
From CNN's Maggie Fox
Social distancing is the best defense against spreading coronavirus, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.
“This pandemic is not over,” Dr. Robert Redfield told reporters during a media telebriefing. “The most powerful tool that we have, the most powerful weapon, is social distancing.”
The virus does not travel well over distances of longer than six or seven feet, Redfield said.
He added that people can "maintain six feet distancing, if we can wear face coverings when we are in public, particularly when we can’t maintain the distancing … and maintain vigilance in our hand hygiene … these are going to be really, really important defense mechanisms.”
3:42 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
California governor praises Disney's decision to delay Disneyland reopening
From CNN's Cheri Mossburg and Frank Pallotta
California Gov. Gavin Newsom publicly complimented Disney for their decision to hold off on reopening Disneyland next month as planned.
“This is an example of the data informing the decision making, and that is exactly what we need to be doing moving forward,” Newsom said.
While California has been providing guidelines on reopening various industries, the state has stopped short of giving an outline for reopening theme parks.
The resort, located in Anaheim, California, was set to welcome back guests on July 17 after being closed for months because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Disney has not given a new reopening date for the Disneyland resort.
The company said that the State of California had indicated it would not issue theme park reopening guidelines "until sometime after July 4," according to a statement: "Given the time required for us to bring thousands of cast members back to work and restart our business, we have no choice but to delay the reopening of our theme parks and resort hotels until we receive approval from government officials."
Some context: Cases are spiking in California. The state reported 5,349 new confirmed cases today. While this number is down from the more than 7,000 cases reported Wednesday, it remains the second highest number of positive results collected in California in a single day.
3:37 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
England health official: If we ignore social distancing rules, cases will rise
From CNN's Milena Veselinovic in London
England’s Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty is warning that coronavirus cases will rise if people ignore social distancing rules.
Despite advice to stay away from the area, it was overrun with cars and sunbathers, leading to gridlock, illegal parking and anti-social behavior. By Thursday morning, more than 40 tons of waste had been removed from the coastline.
“COVID-19 has gone down due to the efforts of everyone but is still in general circulation,” Whitty wrote on Twitter.
“If we do not follow social distancing guidance then cases will rise again. Naturally people will want to enjoy the sun but we need to do so in a way that is safe for all.”
3:25 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
California reports more than 5,000 new coronavirus cases
From CNN's Cheri Mossburg
Today’s daily coronavirus case count in California is down somewhat from Wednesday, with 5,349 new confirmed cases, according to data from California Department of Public Health.
While this number is down from the more than 7,000 cases reported Wednesday, it remains the second highest number of positive results collected in California in a single day.
The positivity rate continues to climb and is up to 5.6%, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced in a press conference. Just Monday, the positivity rate was 4.8%.
Also setting records in California is the number of people tested. Newsom said more than 101,000 were tested Wednesday alone, bringing the state’s total to roughly 3.7 million people tested since the beginning of the pandemic.
Hospitalizations and those in intensive care are also at an all-time high.
More than 195,000 people have tested positive for coronavirus in California to date, and at least 5,733 have died from Covid-19.
3:12 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
Younger people are driving an increase in Ohio's Covid-19 cases, governor says
From CNN’s Rebekah Riess.
At least 892 cases of coronavirus have been reported in Ohio over the last 24 hours, bringing the total to at least 47,651, according to the state.
According to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, almost 60% of the new cases were between 20 and 49 years old.
The average age of people infected in Ohio in March was 51, the governor said. So far in June, that number has decreased to 42.
“We have increased testing, but we do not believe this increase in cases is completely due to testing,” DeWine said.
Hospitalizations are also up, DeWine said, with 55 new hospitalizations and 11 admissions into intensive care units over the last 24 hours.
The uptick in cases is being seen particularly in the region around Cincinnati.
3:06 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
Apple is closing more reopened stores in Florida due to continued spread of coronavirus
From CNN's Kate Trafecante
Apple plans to close an additional 14 stores in Florida again after closing two last week due to an uptick in coronavirus cases in the state.
"Due to current Covid-19 conditions in some of the communities we serve, we are temporarily closing stores in these areas," Apple said in a statement. "We take this step with an abundance of caution as we closely monitor the situation and we look forward to having our teams and customers back as soon as possible."
The following stores in Florida will be closing again on Friday: The Galleria, The Falls, Aventura, Lincoln Road, Dadeland, Brickell City Centre, Wellington Green, Boca Raton, The Gardens Mall, Millenia, Florida Mall, Altamonte, International Plaza and Brandon.
Some more context: Apple reopened dozens of its 271 United States stores last month after shutting them because of the coronavirus.
However, Apple decided to once again shutter 11 locations last week in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Arizona due to a surge in cases in those states.
CNN Business' Rishi Iyengar contributed to this report
2:58 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
Massachusetts schools will reopen for as many students as possible this fall, governor says
From CNN's Evan Simko-Bednarski
Massachusetts will aim to reopen K-12 schools for as many students as possible in the fall, Gov. Charlie Baker said in a news conference.
"Continued isolation poses very real risks to our kids' mental and physical health," Baker said.
The announcement came as the state released guidelines meant to limit transmission of Covid-19 in school settings for the fall.
"Getting our children back to school in the fall is critical," Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito said. "These rules take every precaution possible and are grounded in the best possible medical advice."
What the school guidelines say: The guidelines focus on hand washing, hygiene, and widespread use of masks or face coverings. They also call for a room, separate from a school nurses office, in which possibly symptomatic students can be isolated before being brought home.
Dr. Sandra Nelson, an infectious disease expert on the faculty at Harvard University and one of doctors consulted on the opening plan, said the guidance was the result of new information about the disease.
"We have learned an unprecedented amount in a short time," she said.
"First, children are less likely to acquire Covid than adults," Nelson said. "When children are infected with Covid, they are less likely to acquire Covid than adults with Covid. Third, when children acquire Covid, they appear less likely to transmit infections to others relative to adults."
Baker also announced a fund of $200 million dollars to help school districts with the costs related to reopening and implementing the new recommendations.
2:47 p.m. ET, June 25, 2020
Mitch McConnell on mask wearing: "I think that's what people ought to do"
FIFA announces plan to financially support member federations impacted by Covid-19
From CNN's Jabari Jackson
In a statement released on Thursday, FIFA Council unanimously announced the "FIFA Covid-19 Relief Plan” which was created to support members who were financially affected the most during the coronavirus pandemic.
The three-stage plan will make up to $1.5 billion available through grants and loans with a “minimum of 50% of released funds to be allocated to women’s football.”
All 211 member associations will have access to a $1 million in grants while also having the option to apply for “interest-free” loans that amount up to 35% of their “audited” annual revenue.
Both grants and loans can be used to address wider football issues including “clubs, players, leagues, or others that have been affected,” according to FIFA’s statement.