Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo issued a countywide order prohibiting outdoor gatherings of 10 or more people, except for some Independence Day activities.
The order, which was issued on Friday, says fireworks displays/gatherings with more than 100 people are allowed only if people view the celebrations from inside a motor vehicle.
The order is in effect until at least 11:59 p.m. local time on Aug. 26.
Other exceptions to this order include gatherings of 10 or more people at:
- Religious services
- Local government operations
- Child care services
- Youth camps
- Recreational sports programs for youths and adults
- Professional, collegiate, or similar sporting events
- Swimming pools
- Water parks
- Museums and libraries
- Zoos, aquariums, natural caverns, and similar facilities
- Rodeos and equestrian events
- Amusement parks.
Harris County includes Houston, which has seen increased coronavirus cases in recent days.
At least two Harris County hospitals are "pretty much at maximum capacity," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said earlier this week.