Here's the latest updates on the Covid-19 pandemic from around the globe:
- India cases surge: The total number of coronavirus cases in India has surpassed 1.5 million, after more than half a million new infections were recorded in just 12 days. Only the United States and Brazil have reported more cases than India.
- Rising US death toll: More than 1,200 virus-related deaths were recorded in the United States on Tuesday. Nearly 150,000 people have died of Covid-19 in the US, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- UK vaccine deal: Britain has signed an agreement to secure up to 60 million doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine currently being developed by pharmaceutical giants Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline. The UK has now signed deals to secure access to four potential vaccines being developed, totaling 250 million doses.
- Japan sees highest daily spike: Some 981 new cases were recorded on Tuesday, eclipsing the previous high of 966 set on July 23.
- China records over 100 new cases: Fresh outbreaks in China's far western region of Xinjiang and northeastern province of Liaoning have continued to spread. The country recorded 101 new infections for Tuesday, its highest daily increase since April 12.
This post was updated to reflect the US death count.