August 2 coronavirus news

By Julia Hollingsworth, Adam Renton, Ivana Kottasová, Fernando Alfonso III and Amir Vera, CNN

Updated 12:06 a.m. ET, August 3, 2020
55 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
9:44 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Philippine capital to reimpose tightened coronavirus restrictions as countrywide cases surpass 100,000

From CNN's Isaac Yee

In this photo provided by the Malacanang Presidential Photographers Division, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte meets members of the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila, Philippines on July 30.
In this photo provided by the Malacanang Presidential Photographers Division, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte meets members of the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila, Philippines on July 30. Robinson Ninal Jr./Malacanang Presidential Photographers Division/AP

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced Sunday he would reimpose tightened coronavirus restrictions on the capital city of Manila as the number of confirmed infections in the country passed 100,000.

The new restrictions, dubbed the “modified enhanced community quarantine,” will be imposed on Manila and the provinces of Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan starting at midnight Tuesday. The rules state that people younger than 21, those who are older than 60, those with health risks and pregnant women are required to remain in their residences. The only exceptions are for people to buy essentials and go to work, according to CNN affiliate CNN Philippines.

Duterte’s decision comes after at least 80 medical associations signed a letter urging the President to tighten restrictions. “We are exhausted, both physically and mentally. Most of us are already getting infected with COVID-19,” said Philippine College of Physicians President Mario Panaligan in an August 1 open letter, according to CNN Philippines.

Duterte also approved the hiring of 10,000 medical professionals and the calling to active duty and enlistment to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to assist the current health care workforce, said Henry Roque, presidential spokesperson, in a statement Monday morning.

The Philippines reported 5,032 new cases Sunday, bringing the nationwide total to 103,185, according to the Department of Health. The country has 2,059 confirmed deaths.

8:06 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Double lung transplant recipient sends Covid-19 related message: "This is not a hoax. The virus is real."

From CNN's Deanna Hackney

CNN
CNN

After being on a ventilator for six weeks due to Covid-19, Mayra Ramirez, 28, was so sick she needed a double lung transplant. 

The Illinois woman went to the emergency room with Covid-19 symptoms April 26. Her condition became increasingly dire, she suffered irreversible damage to her lungs and she spent more than six weeks on a ventilator. 

On June 5, she received a double lung transplant at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago. After a lengthy recovery, she is finally resting at home. 

Ramirez and the surgeon who performed the operation, Dr. Ankit Bharat, shared their experience with CNN's Ana Cabrera.

This is not a hoax. This virus is real. It happened to me. It can happen to them," Ramirez said Sunday.

Watch more:

7:54 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

15 state-supported Covid-19 testing sites reopen Monday in South Florida after closure for Tropical Storm Isaias

From CNN’s Sara Weisfeldt and Rosa Flores

Fifteen state-supported Covid-19 testing sites will reopen Monday after closing because of Tropical Storm Isaias, according to a tweet from the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

The sites, located in Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties, were temporarily closed Thursday as the storm approached the state, as CNN previously reported.

 

9:45 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Brazil surpasses 94,000 coronavirus deaths as Latin America region tops 200,000 total deaths

From journalist Rodrigo Pedroso in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Brazil's Health Ministry reported 541 new Covid-19 deaths Sunday, bringing the country's total to 94,104.

Latin America and the Caribbean surpassed 200,000 total deaths from the virus, with Brazil holding the highest number of deaths and accounting for nearly half the region's total.

The Brazilian Health Ministry also reported 25,800 newly confirmed cases, bringing the total number of cases in Brazil to 2,733,677. 

Last week, first lady Michelle Bolsonaro and another two ministers in President Jair Bolsonaro's government tested positive for Covid-19. Since the beginning of the pandemic, eight high-ranking officials have been infected by the novel coronavirus. That includes the President, the first lady and six ministers. President Bolsonaro has since recovered and tested negative for the virus.

5:59 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

NY Mets player who did not show up to game opts out for “Covid-related” reasons, GM says

From CNN's Kristina Sgueglia

Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire/Getty Images
Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire/Getty Images

New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Céspedes decided to opt out of the season “for Covid-related” reasons, Brodie Van Wagenen, the baseball team's general manager, told SNY during a post game interview Sunday.

The news comes after Céspedes did not report to the ballpark for the team's game against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday and the Mets could not get in touch with him.

Van Wagenen said the Mets did not know the player was considering this and during the game was the first time the Mets were aware of his concerns.

The Mets had sent security to his hotel room, where he and his belongings were not found, the GM said.

Van Wagenen said the organization will “support” and “respect” Céspedes’ decision, as they would every player, because it's their right to decide. He did add that it was “surprising” without question.

The GM said Céspedes was safe and healthy and he wished his family the same.

5:33 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Los Angeles County Health Department investigating after reports of a private indoor party at a bar

From CNN's Kyung Lah and Kim Berryman

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health told CNN in an emailed statement Sunday that it is investigating reports of a private indoor party.

Dozens of patrons reportedly went to the Sassafras Saloon in Hollywood on Friday. Lisa Strangis, spokeswoman for 1933 Group, which owns the Sassafrass Saloon, said the owners had rented out the bar to someone who wanted to “honor a group of first responders.” While she said she was unwilling to name the first responder agency, Strangis said the renters paid for the space and 1933 Group employees worked the event.

We are investigating reports of a private indoor party and remind all businesses that have been ordered to close indoor operations that there are no exceptions. This is exactly the situation that puts our entire community at unnecessary risk,” the health department's statement read.

CNN was tipped off to the Friday night event by a source with direct knowledge of the party. The source was told it would involve 100 to 150 law enforcement personnel at Sassafras Saloon.

On July 13, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new round of statewide restrictions as California’s Covid-19 cases spiked. The restrictions halted all indoor dining and closed down bars unless they serve food. The state allows outdoor dining at restaurants. 

5:25 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II placed on NFL's Reserve/Covid-19 list

From CNN's Kevin Dotson

Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II drops back to pass during a game against the Atlanta Falcons in 2019.
Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II drops back to pass during a game against the Atlanta Falcons in 2019. Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II has been placed on the NFL's Reserve/Covid-19 list by his team. This move does not necessarily indicate that Minshew himself has tested positive for Covid-19.

Four more Jaguars players were also placed on the Reserve/Covid-19 list. Those players are:

  • Running back Ryquell Armstead
  • Tight end Charles Jones
  • Wide receiver Michael Walker
  • Safety Andrew Wingard.

The NFL describes the Reserve/COVID-19 category as a roster status created for a player who either tests positive for Covid-19 or who has been quarantined after having been in close contact with an infected person or persons.

If a player falls into either of these categories, their club is required to immediately place the player on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. Per agreed-upon NFL-NFLPA policy, clubs are not permitted to comment on player's medical status other than referring to roster status. Clubs may not disclose whether player is in quarantine or is positive for Covid-19.

5:01 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Miami-Dade students will continue virtual learning until at least October, superintendent says 

From CNN's Melissa Alonso 

An exterior view of Coral Gables Senior High School in Coral Gables, Florida. Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto said students will continue virtual learning until at least October.
An exterior view of Coral Gables Senior High School in Coral Gables, Florida. Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto said students will continue virtual learning until at least October. Johnny Louis/Getty Images

Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho says officials will revisit a possible return to in-class learning at the end of September.

M-DCPS announced this week it will be delaying the start of the school year by one week and delaying "the in-school model by a month," Carvalho told CNN affiliate WPLG's Sunday morning political affairs program, "This Week in South Florida."  

We will revisit the conditions around September 30th for a possible return to the schoolhouse as early as October 5th, if the conditions are appropriate," Carvalho said. 

Carvalho said there is a possibility that certain groups of "fragile and young" children, including kindergarten students and children with disabilities, could return to schools before October 5. "Because we recognize there has to be a balance between the protection, as far as well-being and health of our teachers and students, but also the resumption of normalcy," Carvalho said.  

That would have to be done in a very protective and phased-in manner, a "dimmer-switch approach," Carvalho said. This was presented to the school board and is still being discussed, Carvalho said.  

Carvalho told WPLG that returning to in-person classes is contingent on "a number of criteria" including a positivity rate of "at least 10% or lower." 

Training week for teachers and staff as well as student orientation is scheduled for August 24, Carvalho said in a tweet.  

4:46 p.m. ET, August 2, 2020

Pennsylvania sees significant increase in Covid-19 cases among younger age groups, health department says

From CNN's Laura Ly

Pennsylvania is seeing significant increases in Covid-19 cases among younger age groups, particularly those between 19 and 24, according to a news release from the state’s health department.

An alert was sent to healthcare providers about the changing COVID-19 case demographics, as there are more cases in younger age groups than in those 50-64 and 65+,” the health department said.

Sunday, the state reported 654 more cases and five new deaths, bringing statewide totals to 113,590 cases and 7,209 deaths. Of those deaths, 4,910 have occurred at nursing homes or personal care facilities, the news release states.