November 2 coronavirus news

By Zamira Rahim, Lauren Kent, Ben Westcott and Steve George, CNN

Updated 12:01 a.m. ET, November 3, 2020
2 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
1:25 a.m. ET, November 2, 2020

WHO chief Tedros to self-quarantine after coming into contact with Covid-19 case

From CNN's Sugam Pokharel in Atlanta

World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a daily press briefing on Covid-19 at the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 9.
World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a daily press briefing on Covid-19 at the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 9. Fabrice Coffrini/AFP/Getty Images

World Health Organization (WHO) Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced on Sunday that he will self-quarantine after being "identified as a contact of someone" who tested positive for Covid-19. 

"I am well and without symptoms but will self-quarantine over the coming days, in line with @WHO protocols, and work from home," he wrote on Twitter. 
"It is critically important that we all comply with health guidance. This is how we will break chains of #COVID19transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems," Tedros further said. 

1:24 a.m. ET, November 2, 2020

British media says that Prince William contracted coronavirus earlier this year

From CNN's Jennifer Deaton

Wearing a face covering to curb the spread of coronavirus, Prince William, is seen here on a visit to St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London, England, on October 20.
Wearing a face covering to curb the spread of coronavirus, Prince William, is seen here on a visit to St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London, England, on October 20. Matt Dunham/WPA Pool/Getty Images

Prince William, second-in-line to the British throne, tested positive for coronavirus earlier this year but didn't tell the public, according to the BBC, citing palace sources. 

The Sun newspaper first broke the story, reporting that Prince William told an “observer” at a function that he did not go public because “There were important things going on and I didn’t want to worry anyone.”

The Sun said that Prince William took a seven-day break from calls and video messages from April 9 until April 16, when he opened the Nightingale Hospital in Birmingham via video link. The Duke of Cambridge otherwise carried out 14 telephone and video engagements in the month of April, according to the Sun newspaper.

Prince Charles, William’s father and heir to the British throne, tested positive for coronavirus in late March, and self-isolated in Scotland for a week.  

The Press Association reported that Kensington Palace, William’s residence and office, did not comment on the matter when contacted on Sunday, but also did not deny the report.  

CNN has also contacted Kensington Palace for comment but has not yet heard back.

Read more here: